This past year Sloan St Community Garden
- grew and donated over 200 lbs of food to the Peoples Emergency Center’s emergency food relief weekly give away through Pennsylvania Horticultural Society’s City Harvest Program.
- enjoyed our new layout and new members… Reconstructed beds, replanted perennials , grew boundless amounts of cabbage, leafy greens, tomatoes, herbs, squash, okra and eggplant for our own cupboards, maintained our 3-bin compost system and pruned, played and feasted around picnic tables on BBQ’d food with friends, family and neighbors.
- survived the ongoing construction adjacent to us (Duling Construction donated $500 to the garden – a gesture to counteract the repetitive use and misuse of garden land.)
- We thank Penn Presbyterian Medical Center for allowing us stewardship of their land and Lisa Mosca and others at PHS for supplying us with materials, labor & advice, and the PEC for their ongoing partnership.
Want to Join us?
- Want to grow your own healthy food while caring for & enjoying an expansive outdoor green & organic space? Want to be a part of a green movement? We will be having our Opening Season Membership meeting in March. Check back for the scheduled date and time!
- membership basics: small annual fee(around $10), weed, water and organically control pests in your own plot & containers (weekly-daily depending on time of season) 3 collective workdays per season, leave the space better than you found it, 2 collective meetings per season where we decide organizational moves, committee work (roughly 1 hr per week maintaining communication, tools, grounds, city harvest)
- email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info, but give us a week to respond, we’re all volunteers here!